Academically, the Institute has :
- A thriving weekly academic program in place with presentations from in-house doctors, health care professionals and visiting experts.
- Presented three technical papers in international conferences.
- Prof. UP Devkota, Chief of Neurosurgery requested by Cambridge University and Newcastle University in the UK to collaborate in two major multi-center international research studies.
- Postgraduate M.Ch Neurosurgery training initiated as a constituent program of Kathmandu University with intake on two residents from the year 2009.
Sunday – Friday (8:30am -9:30am and 2:00pm-3:00pm)
- Psychiatry posting of students from BPKIHS and Manipal college of medical sciences at regular basis
- International observers from USA, England, and Hungary
- Neurosurgery MCh. and FCPS
- CME: meeting monthly CME in association with Nepalese Academy of Neurology and various presentations in NESON
International presentations and participations:
- IV thrombolysis within 3 hrs: Presented in ESOC, 2016, Barcelona, Spain
Monotherapy is associated with 2 years seizure free interval. Epilepsy meeting: 2016, Bengaluru, India
- NMJ disorders: Sydney, Australia 2016
LIST OF RESEARCH PUBLISHED / ONGOING
Thapa L, Shrestha S, Shrestha P, Bhattarai S, Gongal DN, Devkota UP. Feasibility and efficacy of thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke: A study from National Institute of Neurological and Allied Sciences, Kathmandu, Nepal. J Neurosci Rural Pract2016;7:55-60.
Lekhjung Thapa, Suman Bhattarai, Milan P Shrestha, Dinesh N Gongal, Upendra P Devkota. Chorea-acanthocytosis: a case report. International Medical Case Report Journal. 2016;9:39-42.
Lekhjung Thapa and P. V. S. Rana, “BMI, HOMA-IR, and Fasting Blood Glucose Are Significant Predictors of Peripheral Nerve Dysfunction in Adult Overweight and Obese Non-diabetic Nepalese Individuals: A Study from Central Nepal,” Neurology Research International, vol. 2016, Article ID 2810158, 8 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/2810158
Thapa L, Sharma N, Poudel RS, Bhandari TR, Bhagat R, Shrestha A, Shrestha S, Khatiwada D, Caplan LR. Knowledge, attitude, and practice of stroke among high school students in Nepal. J Neurosci Rural Pract2016;7:504-9.
P. Khanal, L. Thapa, A. M. Shrestha, S. Bhattarai, D. Sapkota, N. Sharma, U. P. Devkota. Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis during Everest Expedition: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Case Reports in Neurological Medicine Volume 2016, Article ID 8314040, 3 pages
Shrestha P, Shrestha P, Devkota UP. Excision of an Anterior Intradural Arachnoid Cyst of the Cervical Spine through Central Corpectomy Approach. Eur Spine J, 2017, DOI 10.1007/s00586-017-4973-2
Shrestha P, Devkota UP. The question of double identity. Neurocirugia. 2016.
Thapa LJ, Shrestha S, Shrestha P, Bhattarai S, Gongal DN, Devkota UP. Feasibility and Efficacy of thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke: A study from National Institute of Neurological and Allied Sciences, Kathmandu, Nepal. Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice, 2016, Volume 7, Issue 1; 55-60
Munakomi S and Shrestha P. Sciatic Nerve Schwannoma- a rare cause of Sciatica, F1000 Research 2017, 6: 267 (doi: 10.12686/f1000 research 2017, 6: 267)
The role of transcranial doppler ultrasonography in predicting the outcome of neurosurgical patients with fixed dilated or non-reacting pupils.
Magnetic resonance Spectroscopy study of the changes in cerebral metabolites and their implication on outcome in patients with ischemic stroke.
- Study of the prognostic factors predicting outcome in moderate and severe head injuries.
Role of magnetic resonance imagining in prediction of outcome in traumatic diffuse axonal injury.
Anatomical variation of the circle of Willis and it correlation with the site of aneurysm in Nepalese patients with spontaneous subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- A prospective study of pediatric head injuries at Bir hospital.
Incidence of coagulopathy and its effect on outcome of patients with moderate to severe head injury.
- Rapid tracheal intubation with vacuronium: The timing principle.
Study on the natural history, clinical characteristic and outcome of treatment of spontaneous supratentorial hemorrhage.
Surgical Outcome of acute extradural hematoma in department of neurosurgery college of medical sciences , Bharatpur , Chitwan.
- Renal Impariment in Stroke (edited- being prepared for submission)
- Qualitatitve Difference in CSF analysis (lumbar vs ventricular)
Analysis of Cerebello-pontine angle tumors operated at the National Institute of Neurological and Allied Sciences.
- Vitamin D in acute ischemic stroke
- Normality NCS data of Nepalese population
- Profile of patients living with epilepsy presenting for electroencephalography
- Moya-Moya disease: a case report
- Takayasu arteritis: a case report
- Clinical profile of AIDP patients: A retrospective analysis
Outcome of patients Thrombolysed with tenecteplase in acute ischemic stroke Updated May 3, 2017
- Predictors of outcome of hemorrhagic stroke
- Profile of patients presenting with Parkinson’s disease
- A randomized controlled trial of Albendazole therapy in solitary neurocysticercosis
- FLAIR hyperintense vessels in acute ischemic stroke
Predictors of unfavourable outcome after hypertensive supratentorial intracranial hemorrhage.
Difference in outcome of neuro critical care patients based on early versus late tracheostomy.
Monitoring of intracranial pressure in hypertension supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage after hematoma evacuation.
- Alcohol Dependence Syndrome
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- CT/ MRI in neurological disorders
- Electroencephalogram (Basic principles and Interpretation)
- Typical EEG
- Epilepsy (A case presentation)
- Cheiro-Oral Syndrome (A case presentation)
- Chronic daily headache
- EEG activation procedures
- Psychogenic movement disorders
- Brain tumors
- Huntington’s Disease (A case presentation)
- Parkinson’s disease, non motor symptoms
- CT/ MRI basics
- Anatomy, Limbic system
- Neuropsychiatric manifestations of HIV
- Leukodystrophy, approach to psychiatry
- Psychogenic non epileptic seizure disorder
- Wernicke encephalopathy
- Approach to Ataxia
- Hereditary Motor and Sensory Neuropathy (HMSN)
- Stroke, thrombolysis and other advances
- Wilson’s disease
- Tetanus (A case presentation)
- Metabolic Encephalopathy (A case presentation)
- Basal ganglia pathways
- Amyloid angiopathy( A case presentation)
- Conversion Disorder
- HSV Encephalitis (A case presentation)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Stroke in Diabetes
- Glioblastoma Multiforme
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Cerebellar tumors
- Parasagittal Meningioma
- Basilar tip aneurysm
- Cerebellopontine angle tumor (CP angle tumors)
- Dural AV fistula
- Prolapsed discs
- Cervical vertebrae fracture with cord compression
- Spinal tumors
- Pituitary macroadenoma
- Spina Bifida
- Electrolyte imbalance, causes and management
- Cavernous Hemangioma
- Causes, mechanism and types of brachial plexus injury
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for preventing meningitis in patients with basilar skull fractures
- Spinal cord and spinal injuries
- Anterior cervical surgery
- Intracranial AVM
- CVJ anomalies
- High grade gliomas